Town Of Ulster

Town Clerk and Tax Collector

Suzanne Reavy

1 Town Hall Drive
Lake Katrine, NY 12449
(845) 382-2455
(845) 336-0082
The Town Clerk's office issues, licenses, permits, collects water bills, maintains Town records and makes reservations for use of Town Parks and Town Hall meeting rooms.  The Town Clerk's office is also responsible for the collection of property taxes.
Registrar of Vital Statistics
FOIL Officer
Hours of Operation:

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday,  8:00am - 4:00pm

Deputy Town Clerk
Lauren Hommel
1 Town Hall Drive
Lake Katrine, NY 12449
Phone: 845-382-2455
Registrar of Vital Statistics
Suzanne Reavy
1 Town Hall Drive
Lake Katrine, NY 12449
Phone: 845-382-2455
Deputy Registrar of Vital Statistics
Lauren Hommel
Town of Ulster Town Hall
1 Town Hall Drive
Lake Katrine, NY 12449
Phone: (845) 382-2455
FOIL Officer
Suzanne Reavy
1 Town Hall Drive
1 Town Hall Drive
Lake Katrine, NY 12449
Phone: (845) 382-2455
Fax: 845-336-0082
Property Tax Online Payment



1.   PAYMENT ENTERED MUST MATCH YOUR TAX BILL -- Any Discrepancies Will Cause your Tax Bill to be VOIDED and your tax bill will REMAIN DUE


2.   Telephone number is REQUIRED.


3.   If you have any questions regarding the amount due -- please call the Tax Collector: 845-382-2455 before entering a payment that MAY NOT BE CORRECT. WE WILL WORK WITH YOU!




5.  1ST AND 2ND PAYMENTS ARE ACCEPTED. Please call us if you do not understand these two different amounts. We will be happy to help you!! 


6.   REMEMBER -- THERE IS A 2.65 % FEE FOR CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS and a  $1.50 if using your CHECKING ACCOUNT. The credit card processing company (MuniciPay) collects this fee -- NOT THE TOWN!   If you are unhappy with paying these fees -- please send us a money order, check, or pay in person with cash. We are happy to help you in person. :)



7.  Any QUESTIONS?  Please Call us --  (845) 382-2455 




Town of Ulster FEE Schedule

Town of Ulster Fee Schedules for:

  • Building, Planning & Zoning Fees
  • Town Clerk Fees
  •  Transfer Station Fees
  • Water Rates
  • Sewer Rates
How do I get copies of records of interest in the Town?

You must fill out a "Freedom of Information" (FOIL) form.  This form is available in the Town Clerk's office and needs to be completed in order to receive copies of records in any department.  Copies of all paper records cost $.25 per page.

Must I license my dog, and if so, how can I do so?

All dogs in New York State, at least four months of age, must be licensed.  A dog license can not be issued without proof of a rabies vaccination.  The fee is $16.00 for unspayed/unneutered dogs, and $6.00 for dogs that have been spayed/neutered.  Proof of spaying/neutering must be submitted to the Clerk's office before the discount can be given.  Licenses are renewed once a year.  If a dog is licensed as a result of enumeration, a $5.00 fee is added.

Do you have dogs available for adoption?

Yes.  The dogs are advertised on the internet, in local newspapers and are available for viewing at Home Spun Kennel in Saugerties.

Does the Town accept surrendered animals from residents?

No. The Town only picks up stray animals.  When an animal owner is found, they must pay an impoundment fee and license their animal if they have not already done so.  Failure to comply may result in a summons to Court resulting in a fine and possible jail time.

Do you pick up stray cats?

No.  The Town does not have any program for the care of stray cats.

I have an animal complaint.

You can contact the Ulster Town Clerk's Office and they will register the complaint and dispatch the Animal Control Officer.  After regular business hours, you can contact the Police Department to do the same.

How can a barking dog complaint be filed?

Barking dog complaints must be filed in writing with the Town Clerk, or after business hours with the Town Police Department.  The Town Clerk/Police Department will then dispatch the Animal Control Officer to notify the dog owner of the complaint, giving the owner the opportunity to correct the situation.  If the incessant barking continues, a second written complaint must be filed with the Town Clerk or Police.  The Animal Control Officer then will contact the person filing the complaint and assist him/her in completing the necessary paperwork to bring the dog owner to Court.

What is needed to obtain a marriage license?

Both parties must be present when applying for a marriage license.  The fee is $40.00.  It must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to the ceremony and is valid for 60 days.  Proof of ID, such as a driver's license or passport, and birth certificate, must be presented as well as final divorce  papers (if applicable).  The license will be issued while the couple waits.  After the marriage is complete, the couple will receive an original marriage certificate from the Town Clerk by mail.  Each additional coopy costs $10.00.

Where can I register to vote?

The Town Clerk's Office has applications for voter registration.  You may also contact the Ulster County Board of Elections located on 284 Wall Street in Kingston. 

Telephone:  (845) 334-5470

How can I obtain a Hunting or Fishing license?

Proof of Hunter safety course must be presented when applying for a Hunting license.  If the applicant also wants an Archery stamp, proof of the successful completion of a Bow Hunter safety course is required.  Proof of NYS residency must also be presented, or higher out-of-state fees must be charged.  Only proof of residency is required to purchase a Fishing license.  All fees for Hunting, Fishing, and specialty stamps are established by the State of New York.

When and Where are Town Board Meetings held?

Town Board Meetings are held on the third Thursday of each month beginning at 7:00 pm.  Workshop meetings are sometimes held on the first Thursday of the month at 7:00pm.  Meetings are held at the Ulster Town Hall at 1 Town Hall Drive, Lake Katrine, New York.  A schedule of all the Town meetings is available at the Ulster Town Clerk's Office and on the Town's website.

Are Town Board Meetings open to the Public?

The Open Meetings law gives the Public the right to attend Town Board meetings and to listen to Town Board deliberations.  However, the Public may not participate in the meeting except upon the invitation of the Board.  Time is usually allocated at the beginning to address agenda items only and at the end of the meeting for general public comment.

Are all Town Board Members available during normal working hours?

No.  The Supervisor is the only full time Town Board Member.  He is available in his office at Town Hall, Monday thru Friday, during regular business hours.  All council members perform their official duties during their off-hours from their full-time employment.

Is the Police Department accredited?

Yes.  It was the first Town Police Department in Ulster County to meet these stringent requirements.  It received its accreditation status in 2002.  All Officers are hired under Civil Service guidelines and must comply with New York State Civil Service requirements.  All Police Officers are certified yearly in First Aid and CPR.

What is the STAR (School Tax Relief) Exemption?

STAR is the New York State School Tax Relief program that provides an exemption from school property taxes only for OWNER-OCCUPIED, PRIMARY RESIDENCES.


The Basic STAR Exemption is available to all owner-occupied-primary residences regardless of age or income.  Applicants must provide proof of ownership and residency.


The Enhanced STAR Exemption is available to Senior Citizens whose combined income does not exceed the amount set by New York State each year.  All property owners must be 65 years of age or older in the year of application.  For property owned by a husband and wife OR siblings, only one of them has to be 65 year of age.  Proof of the following must be submitted with the application:


1. Income (Federal or State Income Tax Return)

2. Residency (Driver's License, Library Card, Voter Registration, etc.)

3. Proof of Age


Senior Citizens eligible for the Aged Low Income exemption will automatically receive the Enhanced STAR exemption.


For more information or questions call the Assessor's Office at 845-331-1317

When is the last day to file for exemptions?

The last date for exemption filling is March 1st each year.  Application must be filed with the Assessor's Office.

If I receive a traffic ticket, how do I know how much the fine is?

There are no set fines on traffic tickets.  You must sign the back of the ticket either "guilty" or "not guilty" and send the ticket to the Court.  If you plead "guilty", the Court will send you a notice indicating how much the fine is - OR - if you plead "not-guilty", the Court will send you a notice giving you a new Court date when you will be required to appear.

How can I file a claim in small claims Court?

To file a claim in Small Claims Court, the defendant must live or transact business in the Town of Ulster and the claim must be under $3,000.  Filing forms are available from the Court Clerks during regular Court hours.

How can I get an Accident Report?

Accident Reports are available through the Police Department.

Why is my water bill so high? How can I possibly use such a large amount of water?

You may have a water leak, dripping faucet, leak in the toilet, or your water softener could be stuck in the backwash cycle.  Water consumption is also increased substantially during the hot days of summer when many homeowners water their lawns.  Water conservation is urged!  Please make every effort to have all leaks repaired.

Where can I get a Burning Permit?

Burning Permits are given out by the local Fire District's Fire Chief and his Deputies with rules and guidelines set by the State.  Local burning ordinances are forthcoming to further refine and regulate local burning.

What are the Town Hall hours of operation?

Currently the Town Hall is open Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.  Occasionally an office will be closed during the regular business hours, please contact the office you need and confirm that someone will be available for you.

What Holidays Close Town Hall and Town Offices?

New Years' Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veterans' Day, Thanksgiving Day, Friday after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.

Does the Town of Ulster Hold Rabies Clinics?

The Town of Ulster used to hold rabies clinics at the Town Hall. The veterinarian saw declining interest and we decided to dissolve this program and allow the UC SPCA to offer these services to our residents; the Town no longer holds these clinics. There are TWO locations that we are aware of where rabies and vaccine clinics are offered:

1. Tractor Supply, 1611 Ulster Ave., Lake Katrine (across from ADAMS on Rt 9W) holds vaccine clinics EVERY SATURDAY from 9:30am -- 11 AM. Vaccines are offered by VIP Pet Care. More information call Tractor Supply at 845-336-5038. 

2. Ulster County SPCA, Wiedy Rd., Kingston (off of Sawkill Rd) offers vaccine clinics every Wednesday from 3 PM -- 5:30 PM. For more information, pricing and offers,  call 845-331-5377 EXT 216 or visit their WEBSITE





Birth Certificate Copy Request Application

Application for a copy of a Death Certificate

Application to request a copy of a Marriage Record
Town of Ulster Mailing Address Correction Form for Tax Billing

Update the mailing address for your property electronically by completing the

"Mailing Address Correction Form for Tax Billing"